Common questions When should CT600 be filed?

When should CT600 be filed?

When should CT600 be filed?

Deadlines for filing annual accounts with HMRC Your Company Tax Return (CT600) is due 12 months after your accounting period ends (see the above example). Your accountant will have on record all relevant financial dates for your limited company, however you can access this information yourself for reference.

How long do you have to amend a CT600?

within 12 months
The company can make amendments to the CT600 tax return after it has been filed within 12 months from the filing date (see ¶40-720). This will adjust the company’s self-assessment.

How long can a long accounting period be?

After the first accounting period, a company can shorten its accounting period to any length and can lengthen its accounting period to up to 18 months (subject to the once every five years rule mentioned above!).

What is the maximum length of accounting period a company can have for tax purposes?

Your ‘accounting period’ for Corporation Tax is the time covered by your Company Tax Return. It can’t be longer than 12 months and is normally the same as the financial year covered by your company or association’s annual accounts.

How long do you have to submit company accounts?


Action Deadline
File annual accounts with Companies House 9 months after your company’s financial year ends
Pay Corporation Tax or tell HMRC that your limited company does not owe any 9 months and 1 day after your ‘accounting period’ for Corporation Tax ends

What is the deadline to amend a tax return?

Generally, you must file an amended return within three years from the date you filed your original return or within two years from the date you paid any tax due, whichever is later. If you filed your original return before the due date (usually April 15), it’s considered filed on the due date.

What is the best accounting year-end date?

Using an accounting year-end of 5 April or 31 March is the simplest way to apply the current year basis of assessment. The later in the tax year the accounting date falls, the shorter the period in which to make the related tax payment, and therefore the greater the risk of incurring a penalty for late payment.

Why do companies extend their accounting period?

Some non-suspicious reasons why a company might change its accounting period include if it wants to align accounting dates with other companies in the same group (parent companies or subsidiaries) or to move it to a quieter trading time of year to help with staff workloads.

Can I extend my accounting period?

The rules on changing your financial year end You can shorten your company’s financial year as many times as you like – the minimum period you can shorten it by is 1 day. You can lengthen your company’s financial year: to a maximum of 18 months, or longer if your company’s in administration. once every 5 years.

When do you have to file CT600 tax return?

If a company has a long accounting period (between 12 and 18 months), both CT600’s are due for filing 12 months after the accounts period end. But what about payment of tax?

When did the accounting period end for CT600?

It has accounting periods ending on 31 December 1999 and 31 March 2000.A Paragraph 3 notice specifying the period 1 January 1999 to 31 December 1999 is served on 1 April 2000.The company’s filing date for the return period ended 31 December 1999 is 31 March 2001 (12 months after the accounting date).

Do you have to file two CT600’s at same time?

Although you will need to file two CT600’s that cover this period but both are filed at the same time. There are however two due dates for payments based on the two return periods.

When is the deadline for filing my corporation tax return?

There is not a universal deadline for filing your CT600 corporation tax return; instead the date is unique to your company. You must file your return within 12 months of the end of the accounting period the return covers. This is also known as the ‘statutory filing date’. If you miss this deadline then HMRC will issue your company with a fine.