The main rainy season is from February to May, and short rains from October to November, and the dry periods are from June to September and December to February. Ethiopia constitutes 99.3 % of land area and the remaining 0.7 % is covered with water bodies (MOWE 2013).
What is the main source of summer rainfall in Ethiopia explain?
Rainfall is caused by the southwest monsoon, which affects the country from June to September (the rainy season is called Kiremt), but it only affects some areas, namely the plateau and the mountain slopes exposed to the south-west, while in the south-east of the country, there are two rainy periods, though less …
What are the four rainfall regions of Ethiopia?
Ethiopia receiving most of their precipitation during the Kiremt season. The paper focuses on four principal agricultural regions: Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR and Tigray.
What are the 3 seasons in Ethiopia?
Ethiopia is characterized by three distinct seasons. These are locally known as Bega (October to January), Belg (February to May) and Kiremt (June to September). The rainfall pattern is also named according to their rainfall distribution [18-22].
What season is in Ethiopia now?
Most parts of Ethiopia experience two main climate seasons – a dry season (October – May) and a rainy season (June – August). However, differences in altitude tend to add a number of variations, both in terms of temperatures and rainfall.
What are rainfall regions?
Regional and latitudinal distribution. The regions of highest rainfall are found in the equatorial zone and the monsoon area of Southeast Asia. Middle latitudes receive moderate amounts of precipitation, but little falls in the desert regions of the subtropics and around the poles.
What is Ethiopia climate?
The climate of Ethiopia and its dependent territories varies greatly. It is temperate on the plateau and hot in the lowlands. The Somali Region and the Danakil Depression in the Afar Region have a hot, sunny and dry climate producing fully desert or semi-desert conditions.
Is it safe to live in Ethiopia?
Ethiopia is remarkably safe – most of the time. Serious or violent crime is rare, and against travellers it’s extremely rare. Outside the capital, the risk of petty crime drops still further.